Saturday, April 4, 2009

My dance team is BEYOND awesome!

So, I just have to share this with the world, or else I will NEVER fall asleep. And well, sleep is a good thing. I think....

I teach tap dance, and have a competition group, which I shall call, Buttercup. We've been working since September, with a rather technically difficult routine. We had our first competition two weekends ago, which had some hitches, but we survived. Our biggest glitch was a time problem-I was told I had four minutes for the dance, so I choreographed a challenging 3:56 routine. At the last competition, we discovered we were only ALLOWED to dance for 3. YIKES!!!! We had ONE week to work on the routine to get the wrinkles ironed out, and for me to find a way to save the dance's integrity without getting my girls disqualified from the next competition. We made some cuts, fiddled a lot, and above all, sped up the song. So, I crossed my fingers this morning, knowing that I wanted more time to practice with them, since so much had changed. The beginning was cut-part of the middle was cut-the ending changed! The song was so much faster!!! But time was not on our side. Competition was fierce this afternoon, with some really talented dancers out. It was fabulous to see! The girls were ready to go out, I told them to smile and have fun (and start in the middle of the lines on the floor). Not thirty seconds into the routine and.....the music stopped. Time seemed to go opposite of a supersonic supernova, and I saw my expressions mirrored on the student closest to me: shock, terror (the kind that drains your face of color), and then, utter joy. My girls, I am so proud to say, KEPT GOING. They finished the ENTIRE routine a capella, and finished together perfectly. They always had problems with the ending, and the ONE time they didn't have any music to keep them together, they were brilliant. The crowd went wild. I went wild. The other dancers in the wings could only utter, "wow".I could not be more proud of my four young ladies and their happy feet. The guy backstage asked if we wanted to do it again, this time without the music conking out on us. The girls said no. Even if they had done the dance perfectly to a T, it would not have been better or more exhilarating than this fluke with no music. It makes me wonder....maybe we should keep that glitch...

No comments:

Post a Comment