Friday, May 29, 2009

recessions suck for graduate students

Arg. Ok, so I'm trying to buy a house, right? The government seems to disagree.

I've been looking at property in my new city, talking to loan officers, getting chummy with real estate agents, and managed to get myself a nice pre-qualification amount-not a lot of change for my current area of living, but enough that I have options in my soon-to-be new home town. I found a realtor I can at least stand (I think...), and even reserved a room in a hotel for this weekend, so I can hopefully find the right place for me and my dog, "Half Pint". Upon realizing that my qualification might not be valid in another state, I called up my loan officer acquaintance, to make sure everything was hunky dory. He said he was all fine and dandy for working in state XY. Yay! However, he then started asking some questions about my stipend at RTU (River Tam University), and said he'd, "call me back". Uh oh. Some time later, he did return my call, to let me know that his company (and most others) are no longer willing to represent individuals receiving stipends for income.

Riiiiight. So, I had to call him up, to find out that his quote was no longer valid? LOVELY! This just made my evening. Here I am all ready to go up to RTU city to check out my possible homes, only to discover I couldn't actually sign any papers myself. Arg indeed.

So, I had a nice sit down with parents, asking (ok, maybe begging) if they'd co-sign with me, ensuring them that they'd never have to spend a dime. I'd actually rather get a second job working at nights than hit them up for money. Not that they wouldn't help me out, but I really prefer being able to support myself, and know that what I have is all mine!!!!! Muahahahahaha! So, maybe it's a bit less mad scientist crazy and more "I might have a bit too much pride to ask for money".

So, anywhoo, I no longer have my finances in order, but I'm still heading up to RTU city hoping to find something. I guess now I just have to hope that the loan officer and my father manage to get everything settled by the end of today... I hate not having any control over this stuff. ARG!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment