Saturday, August 29, 2009

Gardening and stuff

This week I've had a guy building my new fence. He finally finished today (grumble grumble money grumble grumble), and I'm quite excited to get to work on my backyard-particularly my garden. For anybody out there looking to save a few bucks, Lowes (or HomeDepot) tend to have decent and consistent prices on materials. However, their labor is expensive, since they outsource it and take a cut of the profits. You are much better suited to find someone who (is licensed, bonded and insured) will do the project as an aside. I have the fabulous benefit of living next door to a contractor, so he can recommend someone for any job I may have. Anyhoo, I saved almost $1000 by finding my own fencing dude.

On to the garden though. So, there's two main ways to set up a garden: ground level, or raised bed. I'll be building a raised bed, for several reasons. Both methods of gardening are effective (both cost and aesthetically), but raised beds are better if your yard is small, you have no yard (concrete, patio, etc.), or you want to grow bulk in a concentrated area. You should choose a spot that gets at least six hours of full sun a day. At the moment, I'm trying to keep the cost WAY down, so I'll be re-purposing the wood from the fence delivery platforms. If need be, I'll pick up some extra wood when I run over to Lowes again. Hopefully, I'll have some photos to share tomorrow. :) Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment